Working with Children Check – any one working or coming into contact with children must read this. In short anyone working with children must have a check. This costs nothing to Volunteers.

 Overview of the new Check

A Working with Children Check is a prerequisite for anyone in child-related work in NSW. The new Check covers more people, is more comprehensive and provides better protection for children than the previous model. It is also more consistent with other state and territory Checks, giving us the starting point for a national Check.

A Working with Children Check includes a national police check and review of findings of misconduct involving children. The result is either a clearance or a bar.

If the outcome is a clearance, the Check is valid for five years and may be used for any child-related work (paid or voluntary) in NSW. Cleared applicants will be subject to ongoing monitoring and relevant new records could lead to a bar and the clearance being revoked.

The only way to accurately determine a person’s clearance status is by verifying their Working with Children Check online; paper evidence of a clearance should not be accepted. 


There are specified exemptions from the Working With Children Check under Part 4, Clause 20 of the Child Protection (Working With Children) Regulation 2013. People covered by these exemptions are not required to have a Working With Children Check:

  1. *Administrative, clerical or maintenance work, or other ancillary work, that does not ordinarily involve contact with children for extended periods.
  2. *Work for a period of no more than five days in a calendar year, if the work involves minimal direct contact with children or is supervised when children are present.
  3. *Informal domestic arrangements not carried out on a professional or commercial basis.
  4. *Work with close relatives of the worker (not including work as a foster carer or other authorised carer of children in statutory and supported out-of-home care).
  5. *Volunteering by a parent or close relative:

– of a child in activities for the child’s school, early education service or other educational institution; except where the work is part of a formal mentoring program or involves intimate personal care of children with a disability

– with a team, program or other activity in which the child usually participates or is a team member; except where the work is part of a formal mentoring program or involves personal care of children with a disability.

  • *A visiting speaker, adjudicator, performer, assessor or other similar visitor at a school or other place where child-related work is carried out if the work of the person at that place is for a one off occasion and is carried out in the presence of one or more other adults.
  • *A health practitioner in private practice, if the practice does not ordinarily involve treatment of children without one or more other adults present.
  • *A health practitioner who is working in and visiting New South Wales from outside the State, if the period of work does not exceed a total of five days in any period of three months.
  • *A co-worker or work supervisor where a child works.
  • *Work by an interstate visitor:

– in a one-off event such as a jamboree, sporting or religious event or tour, if the event is the only child-related work carried out by the worker in NSW in that calendar year and the period of work does not exceed 30 days

– who holds an interstate working with children check, or is exempt from the requirement to have such a check in his or her home jurisdiction, whose child related work in NSW is for no more than 30 days in any calendar year.

  • *NSW Police or Australian Federal Police officers in their capacity as police officers.
  • *Home carers accredited with a current police certificate for aged care, for home care work where the clients are not primarily children.
  • *People under the age of 18.

 Non-child related work

Under Part 2 of the Child Protection (Working With Children) Regulation 2013, some work is not considered to be child-related, which means it will not require a Working With Children Check. This includes:

Clause 6 (4) Work as a student in the course of a student clinical placement in a hospital or other health service is not child-related work

Clause 7 (3) Work as a referee, umpire, linesperson or otherwise as a sporting official or a groundsperson is not child-related work, if the work does not ordinarily involve contact with children for extended periods without other adults being present

Clause 8 (2) Work in providing respite care or other support services primarily for children with a disability is child-related work; but it is not child-related work if the work does not ordinarily involve contact with children for extended periods without other adults being present.

Clause 11 (3) Providing food or equipment at or for a sporting, cultural or other entertainment venue or providing a venue is not child-related work.


How do you apply for a Check?

 A child-related worker is responsible for applying for his or her own Working With Children Check. An employer cannot apply on behalf of a worker.

Application is a simple, two-step process:


Applicants fill in an online form at Once they have submitted the form, they will receive an application number.

There is an online tutorial available from the Seminars and events section of to help applicants to fill in the online form.

STEP 2 Applicants take their application number and proof of their identity to a NSW motor registry or NSW Council Agency. Proof of identity for the Working With Children Check is the same as for a NSW photo driver licence. If they are in paid work, they must also pay an $80 fee for a five year clearance.

The Working With Children Check remains free for:

  • Volunteers
  • Students over 18 on a professional placement
  • Prospective adoptive parents
  • Authorised carers (foster carers and other authorised carers of children in statutory and supported out-of-home care)
  • An adult who resides at the home of:                                                                                                                                              *an authorised carer                                                                                                                                                                    *a family day care service provider                                                                                                                                            *a home-based education and care service provider

For any interested parties. This is as the current legislation stands in regards to the working with Children Check. If in doubt please contact Ross Salmon Secretary/Ass Treasurer
Ph: 0421 489921
Email address